Daily Devotional

This space is provided in honor Joe Brooks and Coon Hunters For Christ. The PKC membership is happy to pray for you in a time of need.

Moderators: Kristi Denney, R D Carnegie, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Ronnie W. Stark
City, State: Water Valley, MS
PKC Member Since: 30 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,480

Re: Daily Devotional

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:02 am

The Manifestation of Your Life Mission

We Have a Biblical Responsibility to Warn Others

By Rick Warren — 08/06/2020

“Jonah obeyed the LORD and went to Nineveh. The city was so big that it took three days just to walk through it. After walking for a day, Jonah warned the people, ‘Forty days from now, Nineveh will be destroyed!’”

Jonah 3:3-4 (CEV)

When God sent Jonah to Nineveh, his mission was to warn the people about the severe consequences for their disobedience. God wanted them to know that his judgment was near, but that they still had a chance to repent and obey him.

God wanted to give the people of Nineveh a second chance.

But he had to give Jonah a second chance, too, because the prophet was sitting in a big fish. Once God rescued him, the Bible says, “Jonah obeyed the Lord and went to Nineveh. The city was so big that it took three days just to walk through it. After walking for a day, Jonah warned the people, ‘Forty days from now, Nineveh will be destroyed!’” (Jonah 3:3-4 CEV).

A warning is cautionary advice about a danger, trap, or problem. And God sometimes brings people into our lives to warn us because we’re not listening to God’s warning.

More than 100 verses in the New Testament tell us to warn others. It’s part of our responsibility as followers of Jesus.

In Acts 20:31, Paul writes: “Remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears” (NIV).

Notice that Paul says he warned the Ephesians “with tears.” Why did he do that? Because he loved them!

God gives all believers the ministry of warning others. When you warn someone, it shows that you love God and love that person. For instance, if you knew a bridge was out and you saw someone driving toward it at 50 miles per hour, the loving thing to do is to warn them.

If you love the people in your life, you will warn them of the consequences of their unwise actions or decisions—because a godly warning is an act of love.

Talk It Over

Describe a time when someone warned you about an issue and it saved you from making a poor decision.
Do you easily and willingly accept the warnings of others? Why or why not?
What’s the most difficult part about warning others?
This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:42 pm

Bible Study Verses
Matthew 7:13 - 14
"Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy[a] that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few." (ESV)

Thoughts
I am fortunate to have permission to hunt on a piece of property that borders the Shenandoah River. There is a dirt road that leads up from the river bottom to the top of a large hill. The road forms a large circle around the perimeter of the hill top. The deer love to use the road to move around.

One day while scouting I took a short cut through the woods and brush that was in the middle between the roads. Right in the middle I stumbled across a very well-worn narrow trail that ran up the middle. Any deer walking up this trail would be extremely difficult to see. As I walked the trail I found several signs left by the wise buck who used it to avoid danger.
(Terry L)

Action Point
The road above makes for easy walking and we know it and so does the deer and many a deer has lost its life by taking the easy road. As we walk through this life we make a lot of choices and one of them is what path we will take.

We can take the easy wide road or we can take the less traveled narrow road.

On the easy road we turn our back on the truth or we comprise to the point where it is no longer relevant. Sure it could make our walk easier, but what about our witness and effectiveness for the kingdom?

The narrow path is hard, but it leads to a life that is a shining example of God's love and it gives us a life worth living. On the narrow road we stand on biblical truths and trust in our Lord.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:59 pm

The Manifestation of Your Life Mission

When God Gives You a Second Chance, Seize It
By Rick Warren — 08/05/2020

“Since we are God’s coworkers, we urge you not to let God’s kindness be wasted on you.”

2 Corinthians 6:1 (GW)

When God gives you another chance to fulfill your mission in life, seize it. Don’t waste it. That’s the time to focus on God’s unique calling for your life.

Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 6:1, “Since we are God’s coworkers, we urge you not to let God’s kindness be wasted on you” (GW). God’s done so much for you. He’s forgiven your sins. He’s given you more than one second chance.

He will give you another opportunity to serve him.

Take a look at Paul. He was killing Christians because he thought they were heretics who were following a dead and disgraced leader.

But then Jesus confronted Paul on the road to Damascus—and offered him a second chance to fulfill his real mission on earth. Paul accepted his assignment and did a 180-degree turn—and he never forgot the second chance God gave him.

Later in his ministry, Paul said: “I don’t care about my own life. The most important thing is that I complete my mission, the work that the Lord Jesus gave me—to tell people the Good News about God’s grace” (Acts 20:24 NCV).

Because Paul was so grateful God was using him, nothing else mattered to him.

No matter how badly you’ve messed up, God hasn’t changed your mission. Maybe you’ve started to drift just a little bit. God still hasn’t changed your mission.

So get onto it. Get started today. When God gives you another chance, don’t delay—obey.

God’s second chances reflect his grace and his love for you.

Talk It Over

Have you delayed obeying God in any specific area? Can you explain why?
What is preventing you from seizing the opportunity to do what God has called you to do?
Who can be an accountability and prayer partner for you as you pursue God’s calling for you?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:56 pm

Bible Study Verses
Hosea 4:2-3
By swearing and lying, killing and stealing and committing adultery, they break all restraint, with bloodshed upon bloodshed. Therefore the land will mourn; and everyone who dwells there will waste away with the beasts of the field and the birds of the air; even the fish of the sea will be taken away. (NKJV)

Thoughts
What's wrong with crime? This is a simple question with many answers. And, what about sin? In today's world, crime and sin can be two different things. Sin, such as killing and stealing are obviously crimes. Swearing and committing adultery, while not necessarily crimes, are certainly sinful.

So the better question might be, "What's wrong with sin?" According to the Bible, sin not only destroys individuals but it destroys the natural world around us. I'm reminded of Jesus' comment in Luke 16:10, "He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much" (NKJV). If I am faithful in the things that pertain to me, such as guarding myself from sinful living, then I will be a better steward of the larger things that pertain to the good of mankind, like the natural world that touches me every day. This faithfulness includes following wildlife laws.

The only way we can be faithful to the life Jesus is asking us to live is to confess our sin to Him, receive His forgiveness, and profess that JESUS IS LORD. Every faithful steward takes this step. It's what makes one a Christian.
(Don H)

Action Point
For the Christian outdoorsman, stewardship of our natural resources should be one of many natural expressions of his or her Christian walk.

List the areas in which you are actively practicing conservation. What will you do to make your activity more effective?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:01 pm

A Faith That Works When Life Doesn't – Part 2

You Can Forgive Others
By Rick Warren — 09/08/2020

“Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”

Ephesians 4:32 (NIV)

God calls us to forgive others, but how do we do that? Here are four ways to help you let go of your pain, hurt, and bitterness.

Recognize that no one is perfect. When we’ve been hurt, we tend to lose our perspective about the person who offended us. But we need to remember that we are all imperfect people. Colossians 3:13 says, “Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others” (NLT).

Relinquish your right to get even. Trust God to confront the person who hurt you and trust him to work things out for you. Choose compassion over your desire to retaliate. The Bible says, “Don’t insist on getting even; that’s not for you to do. “I’ll do the judging,” says God. “I’ll take care of it”” (Romans 12:19 The Message).

Respond to evil with good. Romans 12:21 says, “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good” (NIV). Getting even only brings you down to the other person’s level. Take the high road instead. The Bible says to treat your enemies with kindness. It’s nearly impossible to do this on your own. That’s why you need the love of Jesus to fill you up.

Refocus on God’s plan for your life. When you are focused on the people who hurt you, you’re actually letting them control your life. When you forgive them, you find the freedom to refocus on God’s purpose for your life. Isaiah 26:3 says, “You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you” (NLT).

Don’t go another day with resentment, bitterness, and unforgiveness in your heart. Start practicing these four choices and move on to live the life God created you to live.

Talk It Over

Relinquishing your right to get even requires an act of faith. Why?
When someone hurts you, why is it important to remember that we are all imperfect people?
If you hurt someone, how would you want them to approach you? Why would you expect them to forgive you?
Why is focusing on God’s plan for your life more important than focusing on how you’ve been wronged?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:02 pm

Bible Study Verse
Matthew 17:27
"But so that we may not cause offense, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours." (NIV)

Thoughts
Can you imagine Jesus speaking to you, asking you to go fish, and assuring you that He would put a fish on your line to pay your taxes?

He did this for Peter! He does this for me! I'm one of the fortunate ones whom He has "called" to fish for a living; so I am one who must trust Him with each cast I make. This is only possible because of:

Knowing that He is the Provider of all my needs.
Learning to trust Him with the unseen underwater world.
Believing that He will make the bass' mouth open to provide for my family (and for taxes).

(Art F)

Action Point
Have you learned to trust in Jesus? "Rejoice in the Lord, ALWAYS. I will say it again: REJOICE! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about ANYTHING, but in EVERYTHING, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:4-7

TAKE ALL THINGS TO GOD! Trust Him today,even in the outdoors!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:03 pm

Bible Study Verse
I Peter 5:10
And the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. (NIV)

Thoughts
Some lures, especially those made to catch fish with sharp teeth, must be made with rugged construction - ball bearing swivels and chomp-proof materials - components that make them indestructible. Even if the toothy critters that swim our waters may not totally destroy them, they can affect the lure's performance and fish-catching abilities, rendering them useless or ineffective.

What qualities are you made of? Do you allow the toothy critters or the trappings of this world take away your effectiveness?

There was a time in my life when I fell victim to such things. Thankfully, God answered the prayers of my wife, and used a friend to introduce me to my Lord and Savior. (Thanks, G.S.) Although I suffered the consequences of my actions, Jesus Christ restored me and made me strong, firm and steadfast.
(Will D)

Action Point
There are people suffering because they are held captive by this world. Pray for them. Ask God to place them in your path; and be ready to explain how a relationship with Jesus Christ can restore them and make them strong.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:26 pm

Building My Life on Values That Last

How Do You Treat People Who Serve You?
By Rick Warren — 09/15/2020

“Do to others as you would have them do to you.”

Luke 6:31 (NIV)

One of the greatest tests of your character is how you treat people who are trying to serve you. Whether it’s a waitress, a waiter, a clerk, an employee, a secretary, your children, or your spouse, how you treat those who serve you tells me a great deal about you.

In fact, when I’ve been involved in hiring decisions of Saddleback Church staff, I often take people to restaurants to see how they interact with the server. Someone who is rude and demanding in those situations has a character flaw that I don’t want as part of our team.

Jesus tells us, “Do to others as you would have them do to you” (Luke 6:31 NIV). That may be the simplest yet most important character test in the Bible.

Social psychologist Eric Hoffer once said, “Rudeness is the weak man’s imitation of strength.” It takes no intelligence at all to be rude.

The best place to practice this important character trait of respect is at home. More marriages are ruined by rudeness than anything else. When I used to do marriage counseling, I was amazed at how many marriages are buried by one little dig after another.

Often we’re the most disrespectful to the people we care about the most. I know people who treat their families in ways they would never treat a stranger.

Courtesy is just love in the little things. It’s showing respect for people by being kind even in the smallest areas of our lives.

Talk It Over

Why are we often the most disrespectful toward people we care about the most?
In which situations do you have the most trouble being courteous?
If your character was being judged by the way you treat people who serve you, how do you think it would be assessed?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:27 pm

Bible Study Verse
Psalm 46:10
"Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." (NASB)

Thoughts
In numerous Psalms, we are exhorted to "wait for the Lord." Yet, for many of us, including myself, waiting on anything is often hard to do. It takes patience to wait. It is a big help if we at least have some idea of what we are waiting for.

This does, of course, apply to hunting: If I know for sure there are deer in the area, it is much easier to stay where I am and wait. The best way to know beforehand is to do ample scouting. Scouting never guarantees the success of a hunt; but it does verify that an area is worth hunting.

In our relationship with the Lord, it is not so much what we are waiting for, but on Whom we are waiting! To know the Lord is to love Him; and to love Him is to trust Him more. Waiting speaks of patience. With regard to waiting on the Lord, patience is trust in action. I don't usually know exactly how the Lord will answer or respond, but I can know Him; and His answers and responses will always be in accord with who He is. "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever," Hebrews 13:8 (NASB). The more I get to know Him, the easier the waiting becomes.
(Randy E)

Action Point
Read your Bible with the purpose of better knowing and understanding the heart of God. Per A. W. Tozer, "What you think, when you think about God, is the most important thing about you." This is true because what you think about God affects how you think about everything else!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:58 pm

Talking About Stuff That Matters

Don’t Be a Show-off Online
By Rick Warren — 10/08/2020

“Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven.”

Matthew 6:1 (NLT)

Do you remember seeing the photo of an elderly woman in a throng of young people who all have their phones up, trying to capture whatever moment is in front of them? The old woman is the only one who is not trying to capture the moment on her phone. In fact, she has the most serene look on her face and is smiling, as if she is truly relishing the moment.

You can’t be in the moment while you’re trying to capture the moment.

As an example, you will never see a photo of me during my quiet time. Why? Because if I’m focusing on getting a great picture for Instagram, then my communion with God is not authentic. I do not have the right motivation for posting to social media or for doing a quiet time. You need to have a quiet time with God every day, but it ought to be between you and God.

You can’t be in the moment while you’re trying to capture the moment.

Jesus says in the Sermon on the Mount, “Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven” (Matthew 6:1 NLT). In other words, if you take the good you’ve done and brag about it online just so other people will give you recognition, then that’s all the reward you’re going to get.

Social media offers a huge temptation to show off. But when you show off, it builds barriers. It doesn’t build fellowship. It doesn’t draw you closer to anybody. If you want to draw closer to people, then do the opposite. Share the problems Jesus is helping you with. Be real! Give people a look at your bloopers and not just your highlight reel. They will be encouraged to ask God to help them with their problems too.

“Humble yourselves, then, under God’s mighty hand, so that he will lift you up in his own good time” (1 Peter 5:6 GNT).

Don’t worry when others use social media to promote themselves. If you’re a child of God, then he will promote you at the right time, when he knows you’re ready. When you stop pretending to be somebody you’re not, you’ll be at peace just being who God made you to be, right where he meant for you to be. Then you can really enjoy the moment.

Talk It Over

Is it difficult for you to be content only with God’s praise instead of the praise of people? Why or why not?
Why does showing off keep you from developing deep, authentic relationships?
How do other people’s highlight reels on social media make you feel discontented with your life?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:07 pm

Bible Study Verses
II Peter 1:10-11
Therefore, believers, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you [be sure that your behavior reflects and confirms your relationship with God]; for by doing these things [actively developing these virtues], you will never stumble [in your spiritual growth and will live a life that leads others away from sin]; for in this way entry into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly provided to you. (Amplified)

Thoughts
A great passion of mine is winter wade fishing for trophy seatrout and redfish. It is a stealthy and exciting way to fish. However, there are hazards. Shoreline bottoms are intermittingly made up of soft muddy spots, rocks, shallow holes and reefs of various sizes. Although I have come close, I have not fallen. It is always a concern that I could trip in the cold winter water, thus ruining my trip. I am cognizant of the perils and move carefully, stepping over rocks or avoiding soft muddy areas.

Giving one's life to Christ does not take away the hazards of life. But, if you are steadfast, the Holy Spirit will guide you and help you sidestep the many rocks and soft spots that will be in your path.
(Will D)

Action Point
It is distinctly possible there are places and/or people in your life that will cause you to stumble. If so, consider Paul's charge in I Timothy 6:11, "But as for you, [a]O man of God, flee from these things; aim at and pursue righteousness [true goodness, moral conformity to the character of God], godliness [the fear of God], faith, love, steadfastness, and gentleness" (Amplified).

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:57 pm

When You’re Bullied, Remember Who You Are
By Rick Warren — 10/13/2020

“Dear children, you belong to God. So you have won the victory over these people, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.”

1 John 4:4 (GW)

What is your identity? If you are a Christian, then you are a son or daughter of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. You are a part of God’s family. You were created in his image. God loves you. He made you for a purpose, and he has a plan for your life.

You need to remember who you are when you’re harassed or bullied. Why? Because bullies can smell weakness, insecurity, and low self-esteem a mile away. Bullies don’t usually go after confident or self-assured people. They look for someone who is feeling down or insecure or weak. They want to pick off people when they’re in their most vulnerable moments.

Who are you? You are not what other people say you are. You are who God says you are. God always speaks the truth, and it is the truth that sets you free and gives you confidence and courage. You’re going to be vulnerable to deception and manipulation until you’re confident in who you are. You need to settle today the issue of your identity and who you are in Jesus Christ because it will shape every area of your life.

God is your Creator. Jesus died for you. The Holy Spirit lives in you. You have the Trinity behind you. You don’t have to worry about bullies, because bullies have no real power over you.

The Bible says, “Dear children, you belong to God. So you have won the victory over these people, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world” (1 John 4:4 GW). Satan may be trying to take you down through a bully. But the One who is in you is greater than he that is in the world.

Remember your identity, which is what David, one of the great Israelite kings, did when he wrote: “When I am afraid, I will put my trust in you. I praise God for what he has promised. I trust in God, so why should I be afraid? What can mere mortals do to me?” (Psalm 56:3-4 NLT).

If God is on your side, it doesn’t matter who’s against you. You may have heard the phrase, “One plus God equals a majority.”

If God is for you, what can people do to you that would change who you are and how God feels about you?

Not a thing.

Talk It Over

Choose one of the Bible verses from today’s Daily Hope devotional. Begin memorizing it today so it will encourage you when you are bullied.
What, besides Jesus Christ, have you based your identity on? How did or does it affect your confidence?
What does Psalm 56:4 mean when it says, “What can mere mortals do to me?” (NLT)? Does being a Christian mean you will never experience physical or emotional pain?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:59 pm

Bible Study Verses
Psalm 29:3-4
The voice of the Lord is over the waters; the God of glory thunders, the Lord thunders over the mighty waters. The voice of the Lord is powerful; the voice of the Lord is majestic. (NIV)

Thoughts
A thunderstorm moving in is a mighty sight, but a thunderstorm over the ocean's water is awesome. One time my son, a friend, his son, and I were camped on the beach on Galveston Island. During the early morning hours, a storm rolled in off the Gulf with lots of thunder. The thunderclaps were not only loud, they would echo across the water, prolonging a loud boom. Along with lightning, it was truly a awesome experience of God's majesty
(Tom B)

Action Point
I take God for granted a lot of time in the course of my busy life - He's the "Big Guy" up there when I need something. But, experiencing something like the majesty of the storm triple highlights His majesty and power. As David wrote, "The voice of the Lord is powerful; the voice of the Lord is majestic." However, along with the power of God we find that He is also a soft, loving God who comforts me in the time of trouble. As a loving father lifts his young baby son when he cries, my God lifts me up and comforts me when I am hurting.

I serve a powerful, majestic Creator. I serve a loving, caring Father who wants only the best for me.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:20 am

The Real Problem with a Bully
By Rick Warren — 10/12/2020

“We are not fighting against human beings but against the wicked spiritual forces in the heavenly world.”

Ephesians 6:12 (GNT)

Bullying is on the rise in our schools, our workplaces, and even online.

Whenever someone exhibits aggressive behavior or tries to exert power over somebody else, that’s bullying. It could include making threats, spreading rumors, physically or verbally attacking, harassing, or purposefully excluding somebody from a group.

Bullying doesn’t just happen in person. Today we’re more and more connected through texts, social media, video games, and apps. And that means cyber bullying happens in all those spheres. In previous generations, kids could escape bullies by leaving the playground, but today the bullies can reach you through your phone, tablet, or computer. Sometimes it can seem like there is no escape.

When you or your children face this kind of behavior, it’s important to recognize the source behind the bully.

“We are not fighting against human beings but against the wicked spiritual forces in the heavenly world” (Ephesians 6:12 GNT).

The bully is not your real problem. The real problem is a spiritual force. It’s called evil. The bully is just being used by Satan. You’re not fighting against human beings. You’re fighting against wicked spiritual forces. All evil and hatred come from Satan. And he can use anybody who doesn’t know the Lord, because they don’t have God’s Spirit in them.

Satan wants to hurt God, but he can’t—so he does the next best thing: He goes after God’s children. The best way to hurt a parent is to hurt his child, and the child of God is the enemy of Satan. This is why prayer is such an important part of dealing with harassment or a bully at school or work, because you’re not dealing with just human beings. There’s a spiritual force behind it all.

You may not have the power to stop that bully, but God does.

Always start with prayer. That’s where you get God’s power to fight the spiritual forces at work around you.

Talk It Over

How would you tell another adult at work to respond to a bully? What would you say to your child?
In what ways does your perspective shift when you see the spiritual forces at work behind bullying?
How does prayer connect us to God’s power?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:30 am

Re-Thinking Your Life

You Need to Think About What You Think About
By Rick Warren — 10/14/2020

“Fools will believe anything, but the wise think about what they do.”

Proverbs 14:15 (NCV)

Every behavior is based on a belief.

If you act scared, it’s because you believe scary thoughts at that moment. If you act resentful, it’s because you believe you’ve been devalued, and so you’re going to defend yourself. If you’re acting prideful, it may be because you believe you’re not good enough, so you’re trying to compensate by being boastful.

If there is a behavior in your life you don’t like, go to the source and change the thought behind it. God says in Haggai 1:5, “Carefully consider your ways!” (GW).

Ask yourself: Why do I act that way with this person? Why do I act this way at work or school? Why do I act this way with certain neighbors? What thought triggered that response? What assumption is behind that action? What belief is beneath that behavior?

Have you ever been in this kind of conflict with your spouse or significant other: It starts off simple enough—but before you know it, something in the argument triggers your emotions, and you go from zero to 100 in emotional intensity in two seconds? Then you’re out of control, upset, nervous, or fearful. You may start sweating, or your voice may rise. Maybe tears start coming down your cheeks.

Something in that moment tapped into an unspoken belief. You may believe the other person is going to leave you. You may believe you haven’t been heard. You may believe your idea isn’t being given validation and you’re not being treated with respect. You believe something that suddenly triggered an emotional response.

If you’re ever in a situation like that, you need to ask this question: What am I believing right now? You need to examine the beliefs beneath your behavior.

The Bible says in Proverbs 14:15, “Fools will believe anything, but the wise think about what they do” (NCV).

To grow in any area of life, examine what’s going on in your mind. Start thinking about what you’re thinking about so your thoughts can lead to healthy, purposeful action.

Talk It Over

Think about a behavior you’ve tried to change over the years. What are you believing that causes you to act this way?
Why is it important to think about the belief behind a behavior before you act?
When you’re in a tough conversation with someone close to you, how is it helpful for you to think about the beliefs behind your emotional responses?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Return to “Coon Hunters For Christ”