Daily Devotional

This space is provided in honor Joe Brooks and Coon Hunters For Christ. The PKC membership is happy to pray for you in a time of need.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Ronnie W. Stark
City, State: Water Valley, MS
PKC Member Since: 30 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,480

Re: Daily Devotional

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:20 pm

Bible Study Verse
2 Corinthians 8: 7, 9 -
But since you excel in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in the love we have kindled in you—see that you also excel in this grace of giving… For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich. 2 Corinthians 8:7, 9 ESV

Thoughts
One of the things I love about my dad is his constant generosity. Every holiday season, he goes out of his way to generously care for someone in his sphere of influence, from buying a fridge for a needy family to covering rent for someone who’d lost their job to paying for Christmas presents for a family who couldn’t afford them.

This extended to hunting and fishing trips as well. My dad would always make it a point to invite boys in the community who didn’t have a dad to care for them and take them hunting.

I’m thankful for his example. He saw generosity like the apostle Paul did, as an act of grace that was based on the example of Jesus. (Ryan I)

Action Point
Pay attention this week to the needs of your friends and family. Find someone to generously care for, as you seek to follow Jesus’ example.
This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:21 pm

Bible Study Verse
Ecclesiastes 7:20 GNT “There is no one on earth who does what is right all the time and never makes a mistake.”

Thoughts
Have you ever made a mistake? I sure have. A few years ago, I was with my son and a dear friend hunting mule deer in Wyoming. It was a brisk, cold November morning. We were greeted with a beautiful sunrise. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky. We had been on many mule deer hunts and had seen many big mule deer. Our friend had already taken his deer so my son was the only one that still needed to fill his tag. I was just along for the ride. We spotted this very large mule deer buck at 407 yards, standing broadside. My son, who shoots very well, positioned his bipod on his 7MM STW with a 160-grain AccuBond bullet and took the shot. The deer hunched/jumped a little, and then we could not see it anymore. I was sure he was hit. We waited a long time and then walked down to where the deer had been. As we approached, deer started running all over the place. Then I looked up and saw a big mule deer buck trotting away. We were so confident that he had hit the first deer that he did not shoot the one running off. We looked and found no blood. We found where the bullet had hit the ground though. I ran the scenario through my mind over a hundred times. I messed up. I was wrong. He did not hit the deer, and I told him not to shoot the record-class deer that was trotting just 100 yards away from us. He may never again have an opportunity to take a deer that big. Man, it sure hurts to be wrong. Bob M

Action Point
Sometimes when we are wrong, or make a mistake, it can have major consequences. This was a hunting situation, and yes, it made me feel bad. However, the sun still set that day, and it had no lasting effect. Maybe your mistake is in a relationship, a business decision that had bad results, you ran a stop sign and hit a car, or told a lie that came back to haunt you, maybe you cheated on your taxes, etc. We are human beings, and, as this verse says, we will make mistakes. Some will have a different type of consequences than others. But the good news is that Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, has forgiven you and loves you no matter what. Get on your knees and say, God, I love you and need you. Forgive me for what I have done wrong. Help me be a better person. Give me strength and guidance in my life to do your will, not mine.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:23 pm

Bible Study Verse
“Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Romans 12:2, ESV)

Thoughts
I thought this would make a good SD for April Fool's Day. God has blessed me to work for a Christian performing magician/illusionist. During our show, we perform large disappearing illusions and escapes in which we deceive the audience. At the end of the show, the illusionist gives his Christian testimony to the audience, and we offer prayer in the lobby after the show. Most people are surprised to hear about Jesus when coming to a magic show on the Las Vegas strip. Yes, I said Las Vegas. Ministry can be done anywhere. Cody L.

Action Point
Just as a magic show deceives the crowd by illusion, the devil desires to deceive us of what is right and what is good.
Examples can be:
If I search these images on Google late at night, it’s okay if no one finds out.
It’s okay to lie to my loved ones because it’s better if they don’t know.
Harboring unforgiveness in my heart is fine and justified.

It is easy to do as the world does, but the Lord has called us not to be conformed but rather to be set apart from the world. Do not fall for the lies of the world and the deception of the enemy. Focus on God and His Word, and He will show you what is right, good, and perfect. And keep an eye out for your own unique ministry opportunities.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:24 pm

Bible Study Verse
Matthew 28:1-10 -- 28 After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb. 2 There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. 3 His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow. 4 The guards were so afraid of him that they shook and became like dead men. 5 The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. 6 He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. 7 Then go quickly and tell his disciples: ‘He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.’ Now I have told you.” 8 So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples. 9 Suddenly Jesus met them. “Greetings,” he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him. 10 Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me.” (NIV©)

Thoughts
OK SD readers, what is the singular most important or memorable event you have experienced in your outdoors career? Perhaps it was taking a special animal, or maybe seeing a child or spouse harvest a first animal. I can only narrow it down to three. In 1976 I drew a Desert Bighorn Sheep tag and was fortunate to kill a very big ram! That event was instrumental in my being launched into this position, being a writer for SD. The second was in 2012 when I killed a Black Bear and completed the Arizona Big Ten, that being having taken at least one of the original ten big game animals in Arizona (There are now 13 but the Big Ten are still intact). I would also have to throw in my son taking his first elk with a bow. That was a really special memory. And, after all, aren’t the stories and memories what being in the outdoors is all about! I think so. (Cliff S)

Action Point
Please stay with me and read this SD to the end. It is a little longer than most, but the points are important. I would argue that the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead is the singular most important event in the history of mankind. Time is measured from when Jesus walked the earth and salvation was provided for all men through the shed blood of Jesus and by the Father raising Him from the dead. Now, there are some that will argue that the resurrection never happened. Some argue that Jesus didn’t really die on the cross, just fainted. Here’s my response to that. If any prisoner condemned to death by the Romans didn’t die and was later found to be alive, the executioners would likely have paid with their own lives. There was no chance that those guards didn’t make sure that Jesus was dead. Another theory is that Jesus’ followers stole His body while the tomb guards were asleep. Again, if any one of those guards was found sleeping while on duty, the entire guard would pay with their lives. I don’t think that is going to happen either. And, there were two groups, the Jewish and Roman leaders that wanted Jesus dead. Jesus was viewed as a blasphemer by one group and a troublemaker by the other in the culture or the day. So, wouldn’t it make sense that the Roman officials and the Jewish leaders would have visited the tomb on the third day, or at least had somebody do so? I think so. Why would they have visited the tomb? To show the world the body of Jesus and prove that Jesus was a fraud. But, the leaders couldn’t do so and in over 2,000 years nobody has been able to produce Jesus’ body. If Jesus’ body could be produced, that in and of itself would destroy Christianity. So, I would suggest that you reread today’s scripture and the resurrection story in all four of the Gospels and come to your own conclusion regarding the resurrection. Do you believe that the resurrection of Jesus happened or not? Your eternal destiny depends on how you answer that question. As for myself, I believe!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:28 pm

Bible Study Verse
Psalms 103:12
As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us. (NASB1995)

Thoughts
Last month I had a half day off on a Saturday. No commitments, no to do list, and no work. So naturally I loaded up my kayak, pole, and tackle and hit the lake. Kayak fishing for Crappie is one of my favorite things to do on the water. I’ve always been a fan of using the simplest equipment to get out on the water. The peace of not having a motor, fish finder, or any other electronics when on the water is second to none. On top of that, the rush of hooking up to a smaller fish that can put up a fight is a total blast.

This time I got skunked. Not even a bite. So, I paddled around and explored the lake shore for anything unusual. I happened to find a large piece of driftwood that I thought was unique, so I brought it home and showed my wife. She loved it so much that she put it on display as a centerpiece in our dining room. Naturally, when I see driftwood, I don’t see much. Just a dead remnant of something that used to be alive and thriving. That’s not what my wife (an artist) saw though. There’s beauty in something that has been through so much weathering. -John L

Action Point
Have you ever thought that because you have messed up in your life that God can’t use you to make something beautiful? Maybe like driftwood, something you have done in the past makes you feel dead, rotten, or decayed. There is healing waiting for you. Jesus died and rose from the grave to pay for your and my sins. His blood truly washes away ALL of our sins. Past. Present. Future. Praise God that we no longer have to hang our heads in shame for our past sins. We are constantly reminded in the Bible, that God used many broken people to accomplish His plan. How can you let God use you today despite the things you have done?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:18 pm

Bible Study Verse
Matthew 11:28-29
28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. NIV

Galatians 5:22-24
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. NIV

Thoughts
In my home state, spring turkey hunters 15 years and younger may harvest one gobbler of choice per day and not exceed three per season. Anyone over 15 must harvest adult gobblers, one per day, and three is the limit. Hunters in the adult category must be able to identify legal gobblers. There are characteristics that define legal adult gobblers: the gobbler has a six-inch or longer beard, a regular contour of tail feathers (full fan), spurs over ½ inch, or wing feathers where the 9th and 10th primaries are rounded with white barring extending to the end. Any turkey hunter with some experience has no trouble identifying a mature legal gobbler. Andy D.

Action Point
Christians should be easy to identify from the secular world. There are Christlike attributes that mark the lives of born-again Christians, making us distinguishable from the secular world. The lost world thinks that Christianity is a behavior modification with a lot of rules that say don’t do this or don’t do that. It’s more than this—it’s submission to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. He will change you, and you will want to please Him by following his instructions for living (aka His commandments). Here are a few recognizable characteristics in Christians: love for God, love for others, honesty, purity, and a thirst for righteousness. It’s time for a self-examination. Can you find these qualities in your life; do others see them? Books have been written on all the signs of being a Christian, so we can't cover it all in a short devotional. Search for yourself the characteristics of a born-again believer in Matthew 5:3-12 (the beatitudes), Matthew 22:37-40, 1 John 4:16, and Ephesians 5:8-10. Study the Word and strive to be like Jesus.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:42 am

Bible Study Verse
Acts 8:26-31 -- 26 Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, “Go south to the road—the desert road—that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” 27 So he started out, and on his way he met an Ethiopian[a] eunuch, an important official in charge of all the treasury of the Kandake (which means “queen of the Ethiopians”). This man had gone to Jerusalem to worship, 28 and on his way home was sitting in his chariot reading the Book of Isaiah the prophet. 29 The Spirit told Philip, “Go to that chariot and stay near it.” 30 Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. “Do you understand what you are reading?” Philip asked. 31 “How can I,” he said, “unless someone explains it to me?” So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. (NIV©)

Thoughts
I was raised on a farm in central Arizona. When I was old enough to understand, my Dad would hammer one thing into me about our neighbors. Dad would always say, watch how your neighbor does things. Think, is the neighbor’s way better than how I am doing the same task. Now, let’s apply this to the outdoors. I always listen at seminars to learn how someone is doing what they do and compare it to my way of doing the same thing. It may be how to field dress a deer or elk, or maybe how to set up a camp so that it will withstand the elements where I will be hunting. I never assume that I know everything about outdoors skills, so I enjoy these seminars. And, I always learn something, even if it is that I am doing something right! (Cliff S)

Action Point
In todays passage we see two different individuals. We see the eunuch that is trying to read and understand the Scriptures, and we see Philip, the instructor that will explain the Scriptures to the eunuch. Two takeaways, Philip had to be willing to help the eunuch understand what he was reading. Christian believer, are you prepared and willing to share your faith with someone that asks why you believe? We are commanded in 1 Peter 3:15 to be prepared to answer that question. What should you say ask you? Share your testimony. That is the most powerful thing you can do. Share why you believe in Jesus. Now, for those of our reader community that may not have put your faith in Jesus, I would ask you, why do you suppose that the eunuch was reading the Scriptures, and more particularly, the exact passage he was reading on that day? The Holy Spirit was leading this man to faith in Jesus. So, perhaps you should ask yourself, why am I reading this devotional today? Could it be that the Holy Spirit is leading you to faith in Christ? Like the eunuch, are you willing to trust the Bible and to accept the testimony of believers that you know? Are you willing to believe Jesus when He said that He loves you and wants you to spend eternity with Him? If so, simply believe in Jesus and pray to and ask Jesus to forgive your sins and come into your heart.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:51 am

Bible Study Verse
Gal 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Thoughts
We were headed to the Nevada State Championship of Cowboy Action Shooting and I discovered that the last computer crash had deleted our checklists. Showing up for an event, a hunt, a campout etc.; and discovering you forgot something important can be embarrassing at the very least. I, once, arrived at the local club’s monthly match and had forgotten the shotgun shells. Another time a friend drove half way across Arizona for a match and forgot their holsters. Another friend joined me for an overnight jeep trip and forgot all his food. A simple checklist, with every box checked, would have prevented all this embarrassment. Lonnie B.

Action Point
A checklist is only beneficial if it lists the correct items. Over the years I have observed/noted what could be termed ‘checkbox Christians’. These are they who say/believe they are Christians because they check the right boxes. Attend Sunday morning service? Check. Drop a pittance in the offering plate? Check. Shake the preacher’s hand? Check. Through the week? The works of the flesh (Gal 5:19-21). Thankfully God has provided better lists and I think it behooves us to review them.
Jesus told us He is the vine and we are the branches and he expects us to bear much fruit. (Jn 15:5) Today’s scripture tells us what that fruit is; Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, Kindness, Goodness, Faith, Gentleness, Self-control. These things we should be demonstrating every day, proving we are in the vine.
But do not stop there. He has, also, provided us with a ‘growth’ list. 2Peter 1:3-9 tells us to add to the list, in increasing measure: to faith goodness; to goodness, knowledge; to knowledge, self-control; to self-control, perseverance; to perseverance, godliness; to godliness, mutual affection; to mutual affection, love.
Have you checked God’s checklists against your life lately? Use them to measure your growth and bear fruit for God’s Kingdom.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:56 am

Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go,
Even when he is old he will not depart from it.
NASB1995

Thoughts
I remember taking my oldest son on his first turkey hunt when he was 11 years old. I had never been turkey hunting, but that did not stop us. The local Pheasants Forever Club has a turkey youth hunt every year. So, I signed him up for it, and we went for a 2-day hunt with an experienced turkey hunter. We heard some turkey and had a good conversation with them. None came in sight for us, till the last hour of the last day of the hunt. Our guide called a Tom into a good range and while the turkey was walking across the field, my son took his shot. He missed and the turkey was gone before he could get reset. He was disappointed that he missed, but he was hooked. He was already excited to be back the following year to try again. Jeremy K.

Action Point
We, as godly dads, need to remember that our children need us not just to provide physical things for them but also a spiritual foundation. While our children are young, we need to spend time with them, teaching them God's word and how to handle the things this world throws at us. My son missed that turkey, and instead of being down, he was excited that he got to be out in the woods, walking around and enjoying what God had given us. He looked at the positive side of things. He also knew that he was going to be trying turkey hunting again. God is telling us that we need to be part of our children’s lives and to make sure they grow strong in Him and not the world. Plan a trip with your kids; it doesn’t have to be a hunting trip, but rather a time outdoors and talk about what God has given us and how to handle what the world is taking from us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:22 pm

Bible Study Verse
John 14:1-4 -- 14 “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God[a]; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.” (NIV©)
John 14:10 -- 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. (NIV©)

Thoughts
There are some things in my outdoors “career” that I watch or do over and over again. Examples: If I have an elk tag, I will be watching Primos Hunting: The Truth Big Bulls© videos while I am working out. There is much to be learned about hunting elk by watching these videos. If I draw a deer tag, I will be going over the ballistics of my favorite deer rifle calibers and deciding what rifle to carry on the hunt. With any tag, I will review the Arizona Game & Fish Department hunt regulations for the species and the public land access rules for where I will be hunting. These rules and regulations don’t change often, but they can change. Every time I review these documents I will pick up on some bit of information that I didn’t know before my reading of the regulations. (Cliff S)

Action Point
John Chapters 14-17 are four chapters of the Bible that I read and reread over and over again. Every time I read them the Holy Spirit will direct me to something that I hadn’t seen before. Today was no exception. John 14:10 jumped out at me today, especially the last sentence, “Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.” I have read that verse many times, but today the Spirit spoke and made it clear to me that the Father lived in and did His work through Jesus. The Spirit also pointed out that the Father will live in and do His work through me, a believer in Jesus, as well, so long as I walk with Him and allow The Spirit to guide me. So, the immediate result of this encounter with the Spirit is this devotional. I trust that the Spirit will remind me of this daily: that, if I am yielded to the Father He will live in and work through me to further His Kingdom. By the way, I would recommend that you read these four chapters in John often. They are Jesus’ own words and the Holy Spirit will speak to us every time we read them, if we are listening!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:14 am

Bible Study Verse
Luke 22:19-20
And He took the bread, gave thanks, and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” (NIV)

Thoughts
Every year on the first Saturday of March, my church does a big Wild Game Dinner. We’ve done it for 13 years and have had tremendous success with this dinner. It still amazes me, after all this time, that people want to get together, share stories and food, and celebrate the harvest with each other. Our dinner is always focused on Jesus first no matter what else we have going on. We bring in various Speakers and a few door prizes and just have fun. We also give a Sportsmen's Devotional business card to everyone who attends! So, why do we do it? We do it as a “bridge event” at our church. An event that uses the love of Jesus to make a “bridge” out to others who wouldn’t normally grace the doors of any church. It works very well, and although we’re not keeping score, we have had dozens upon dozens of people make first-time commitments to Jesus Christ through the sharing of the harvest! Rob D.

Action Point
Ever notice how big things happen in the Bible around food? There were lots of feasts, ceremonies, and sacrifices in the Bible, and ultimately, a lot of them are around food. God knew that this was one of the most common variables between all men. Sinners, harlots, and even the righteous have to eat, and through that process, stories and scripture are shared. Commonalities are reached and felt, and the people involved are nourished. Rich, poor, sick, or healthy…everyone needs food! But there is another kind of food that also feeds us and that’s spiritual food, which comes from the Word of God. So, next time you have a big meal with friends remember to start with a grace blessing, but maybe even wrap some scripture or a biblical story into the meal. For when we share food, we share love and that all comes from Jesus. So, read His Word daily, and go grab some grub with your friends!

Sportsmen’s Tip of the Day
Take your time when you cook wild game and make a day of it with friends. There's nothing better than a big meal cooked all day and shared with many. It’s all a blessing from the Lord.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:58 am

Bible Study Verse
Jeremiah 7:23 NIV “But I gave them this command; Obey me, and I will be your God and you will be my people. Walk in obedience to all I command you, that it may go well with you.”
Jeremiah 7:23 NLT “This is what I told them: Obey me, and I will be your God, and you will be my people. Do everything as I say, and all will be well.

Thoughts
It was Oct 1 in the beautiful mountains of northwestern Wyoming. Overnight we had gotten up to 8 inches of fresh snow on the ground. The sky was pitch black. The stars were shining brightly. We fed the horses before saddling them. We were looking forward to an exciting day of elk hunting. My son and I looked at each other and we just knew we would kill elk today. The conditions were perfect! There was no wind, fresh snow, a clear sky, everything you dream about for elk hunting. My son had the license. I was there to help because he had injured his knee. We started out at daybreak, and within 10 minutes, we saw two bulls which he passed on. We kept going. Within an hour, we saw a 330-class bull in the distance, but he gave us the slip. A few hours later my son harvested his 350 class bull at 75 yards. Bob M

Action Points
That morning, as we were drinking our coffee in the chill of the wall tent, we just knew we would get a big elk that day. We just had that feeling. Sometimes, God puts thoughts, ideas, and feelings into us, but do we always listen? Or obey? That day I did. I listened to the direction he told me to take and success was achieved. Do I always do that? NOPE. I am working on that, to listen for God’s direction in my life. It takes a lot of work and dedication to be Christ-like. We are pulled in many different directions in our life. I encourage you to take 15 minutes each day to read a couple of daily devotions or read a chapter in the bible. It will help you to have a better attitude and a clearer direction in life.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:02 am

Bible Study Verse
Philippians 3:14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us. Hebrews 12:1 Let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. 1 Corinthians 9:25 All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize.

Thoughts
These verses have come to mean more to me in my current medical condition, but I have come to realize that they should have the same meaning to all of us. All of us will have challenges in our lives, and some will be terribly hard. I have asked God’s help when faced with challenges in my race in life many times. He’s always there encouraging me. He doesn’t make it easier because that is not His plan. He uses the challenges that I have faced as a way to make me grow as a Christian. I am a better man for it, too. It may not have been fun to go through, but He makes me better as I listen to Him.
Kurt B

Action Point
Life is a race God has set before us all, and we need to run it the best we can until the end so God will say, “Well run” to us when we are at the end. Life is a challenge to all of us, and we need to treat it as such. Nobody is guaranteed a life without challenges and trials. We need to face them head-on with God’s help. We become better Christians when faced with challenges and ask God’s help to face them. If we do, we always come out better at the end. Keep in mind the saying, “Life is not waiting for the storm to pass. It is learning to dance in the rain.” In the last four years, while facing my challenge, I have been soaking wet most of the time, and I’m OK with that. Have a good race and we all win in the end!

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Many of the places we like to hike and hunt can be difficult to reach. Learn to pace yourself so you aren’t worn out by the time you reach your goal. Stop and enjoy God’s work around you, and it will be an enjoyable moment that will linger on your heart, knowing He gave that to you.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:11 pm

Bible Study Verse
“He lifted my feet out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.” - Psalm 40:2 (NIV)

Thoughts
This morning, I got a notification that an Ice Fishing Derby on the lake where I live is canceled for this weekend. It’s Friday, and the derby was supposed to be tomorrow. We’ve had a super mild winter here in Michigan, and we only had about 4 good days to ice fish before the most recent warm up began. Normally the lake is littered with ice shanties, but right now, there’s not even one on the lake. The ice is punky, varying in thickness from hardly any ice up to about 8”. In order for it to be safe, there has to be about 4” of solid ice to walk on, and more than that to bring a quad, side-by-side, or truck out onto it. The officials of the derby made the right call. There truly is no place safe to stand or walk.

Action Point
It reminds me of how important it is to have solid footing. Psalm 40 tells us that God provides us a firm place to stand. Without God in our lives, we would be slip sliding all over the place, taking plunges into the depths of our own “wisdom”. It’s important to remember how God has given us a firm foundation for our lives to be built on, now and into the future.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:18 am

Bible Study Verse
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” – Mt 11:28-30, NIV

Thoughts
I competed in the State Swimming Championships, in Reno Nevada, in the 1960s. I was excited to compete, but that’s not the reason why I remember the swim meet so vividly. You see, the pool heater broke two days before the meet began. The temperature of this outdoor pool plummeted that weekend despite the host’s best efforts. In the low 50s, I competed in water 30-degrees colder than my practice pool in Southern Nevada. The Reno snow, at 4500 feet, lay piled against the chain link fences. Swimmers stripped-off sweats and tip-toed to starting blocks in their Speedos as the announcer called-out each event. I fondly remember my friend Bill’s race. The gun sounded and Bill hit the water. Every bystander heard Bill scream as he rose for his first breath. With his arms thrashing wildly, he sprinted into the lead. Bill was two body lengths ahead of the Olympic-qualifier, in the lane beside him, when he reached the first wall. Instead of doing a flip turn to begin Lap #2, however, Bill grabbed the pool edge and catapulted himself from the pool and onto the deck! Dodging amazed onlookers, he sprinted to the locker room and into the warm showers. That’s cold! That year, the brisk water took everyone to new levels of “discomfort”! - Bruce M

Action Point
Like the discomfort of standing in a Speedo, in the freezing wind, atop your starting block, no one prepares you for “uncomfortable faith” following Jesus! Jesus said, “If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me”. George MacDonald (author, poet and pastor) once wrote, “God is easy to please but hard to satisfy”. We receive Jesus’ sacrifice for our sins with effortless grace. That’s what God intended. However, as His Spirit re-molds our lives to follow Jesus’ example, His yoke of daily living can get uncomfortable.
2023 is the 60th year of CS Lewis’ passing (1898-1963). I recall his insight when I consider my “discomfort”. He wrote, “Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on; you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently, He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make any sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of – throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were being made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself.” (CS Lewis, Mere Christianity)

Sportsman’s Tip of the Day
Discomfort is not such a bad thing! You may sit precariously in the blinds of a tree perch. You might crouch pole-in-hand on a stool in an icehouse. You could lunge through the wind-sprayed mist of surf chop in your fishing charter. Or you can grasp the toe of your starting block in a Speedo on a frosty morning. Moments of discomfort are the sacrifice of our achievements. Jesus’ yoke is no different. There is something poignant about how Jesus uses our discomfort to re-mold us into “fishers of men” (Mt 4:19).

In Mere Christianity, CS Lewis paraphrases Jesus’ call this way, “Give me all of you!!! I don’t want so much of your time, so much of your talents and money, and so much of your work. I want YOU!!! ALL OF YOU!! I have not come to torment or frustrate the natural man or woman, but to KILL IT! No half-measures will do. I don’t want to only prune a branch here and a branch there; rather I want the whole tree out! Hand it over to me, the whole outfit, all of your desires, all of your wants and wishes and dreams. Turn them ALL over to me, give yourself to me and I will make of you a new self---in my image. Give me yourself, and in exchange, I will give you Myself. My will shall become your will. My heart shall become your heart.” God, grant me the spiritual grit to bridge discomfort and be like Christ in the manure moments that arise today. -Amen

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Return to “Coon Hunters For Christ”