Daily Devotional

This space is provided in honor Joe Brooks and Coon Hunters For Christ. The PKC membership is happy to pray for you in a time of need.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Ronnie W. Stark
City, State: Water Valley, MS
PKC Member Since: 30 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,480

Re: Daily Devotional

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:27 pm

Bible Study Verse
Ecclesiastes 12:13
When all has been heard, the conclusion of the matter is: fear God and keep His commands, because this is for all humanity. (NASB)

Thoughts
I just love the book of Ecclesiastes! I can't agree with the people who say that they think it is boring, or that it is a downer. To me, "The Preacher," Solomon, the son of David, has hit the nail on the head! "Vanity of Vanities! All is vanity," the Preacher says; ". . . meaningless, a chasing after the wind" (Ecclesiastes 1:2,14). We are told that Solomon was the wisest man who ever lived. I take his God-breathed words to heart.
(Dave H)

Action Point
As Sportsmen we have to remember that even our love of the outdoors can be vanity of vanities, meaningless, if we only use it as escapism, to get away from it all. Is there anything wrong with getting away from it all? Of course not! It would be easy, however, to let it become meaningless, an empty activity. Let's go to the outdoors to spend time allowing God to fill us, get into our heads and hearts. The Preacher tells us that ". . . there is time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven" (Ecclesiasters 3:1). He then goes on to enumerate many things to do and to refrain from doing (3:2-8). So, we could easily consider that there may also be a meaningful time to hunt and a time to refrain from hunting. Don't let our love of the outdoors become vanity--empty. Fear God and keep His commandments.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
When I was a Game Ranger out on patrol, I always carried a box of spare items, such as: fuses, engine oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, antifreeze, electrical tape. Not only did I occasionally need these items myself, many times I was able to help out a hunter who was in a jam. Thinking ahead of how to help others will help keep your outing from becoming vanity!
This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:36 pm

Bible Study Verse
1 John 4:20
If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For the person who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." (HCSB)

Thoughts
In Texas, a controversy arises every summer concerning the use of live bait, namely, Atlantic golden croakers. Croakers are deadly on speckled trout during the summer--really deadly. So deadly, they produce fish on the stringer even on the toughest of days. Artificial aficionados cry foul, complaining that the use of croakers deplete the trout population, even though science declares Texas' trout stocks are okay.
(Bink G)

Action Point
I'll admit I am not a proponent of the use of croakers for bait; however, I do not condemn those who use them. We all deserve to legally fish the way we want. Some fish for sport, some for pleasure, others to enjoy being outdoors. Sportsmen should not draw lines in the sand because of silly preferences.

That goes for Christians, too. The world is watching us. How can we claim to love and honor Jesus when we let trivial differences divide us? How can we praise the Lord with our lips, then slander a brother, friend or enemy with the same lips? Jesus said we cannot. Let us pray for our enemies. Pray for our friends. Pray that God will give us the serenity to love everyone. Then, we will truly feel the ultimate love of the Father.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:48 pm

Its Fruit
"A tree is identified by its fruit. If a tree is good, its fruit will be good. If a tree is bad, its fruit will be bad." (NLT) ( Matthew 12:33 )

We all know what a bad piece of fruit looks like. It's unappetizing and mushy. It gets picked over at the grocery store. God desires more for you, and the fruit of your efforts should be good. What does bad fruit look like? One example is taking advantage of the poor. Conversely, good fruit can be seen when you display integrity, especially when no one is looking. Do your fruits get picked over because they are bad?
Download this app to get your daily devotions: http://jctrois.com
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... QbDGa7cpfL

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:49 pm

Forget Me Not
But when you had eaten and were satisfied, you became proud and forgot me. (NLT) ( Hosea 13:6 )

Excess is a real struggle for many in our culture. With freezers full of frozen food, clothes for every season, and shelter for our cars, it's no wonder we're so proud. We must not forget where these provisions come from. Don't forget to thank God everyday for all that He has provided. Not only does it show appreciation; most importantly it will keep you humble.
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... v4CUW9sVQV

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:44 am

Greedy
Some people are always greedy for more, but the Godly love to give! (NLT) ( Proverbs 21:26 )

It's very difficult to see greed in the mirror. Stop trying to diagnose greediness, especially in others. Instead, start combatting it in yourself by putting effort into giving. Surely you will see your heart will soon follow. Take a moment and figure out who or what organization would you love to bless?

http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... 2VfjW7pQla

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:46 am

See And Listen
For they look, but they don't really see. They hear, but they don't really listen or understand. (NLT) ( Matthew 13:13 )

God speaks to us all the time, but we're not always ready to listen. We see and listen through advice from other Godly people, reading the Bible, and prayer. If you're in need of God's wisdom, focus on seeing, not just looking; focus on listening, not just hearing. Sow these behaviors now and reap the rewards of peace and grace.
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... Mka4ZqD8PO

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:47 pm

Bible Study Verses
Deuteronomy 8:6-7
Observe the commands of the Lord your God, walking in obedience to him and revering him. For the Lord your God is bringing you into a good land -a land with brooks, streams, and deep springs gushing out into the valleys and hills. (NIV)

Thoughts
The land is flat and the woods are thick in northeast Maine. I was hunting with Tim, a buddy of mine. We stayed near a railroad bed and saw plenty of deer tracks. One day I decided to get off the tracks and go into the woods to see if I could push anything across to Tim. I was about 200 yd into the woods when I lost my sense of the direction I needed to return. I wandered around shouting, but the thick brush absorbed my voice. Finally, I heard a faint voice shouting back, and I headed toward that voice.

Whether living in dense woods, a desert wilderness or by mountain streams, we all live in a moral wilderness. The Bible is the voice of God that gives us direction through that moral wilderness. He has chosen to speak to us in this way and without His voice we have little hope of staying on track.
(Steve S)

Action Point
Lots of people say they'd like to hear the voice of God, but they aren't listening in the place He has chosen to speak. Let the Bible test whatever direction you choose to go in life. You can always depend on Him to speak to you through it and show you how to stay on track with Him.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:10 pm

Silver And Gold
Fire tests the purity of silver and gold, but a person is tested by being praised. (NLT) ( Proverbs 27:21 )

One way to get to know the heart of a person is to see how they react to being praised. How do they handle flattery? Do they seek more of it by prompting you? The real question is: how do you handle praise when you are put to the test of fire? It can be tricky, but remember how important it is to give God the glory He deserves.
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... bYpNLbjoYg

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:59 pm

Bible Study Verses
I Samuel 17:38-40
Then Saul dressed David in his own tunic. He put a coat of armor on him and a bronze helmet on his head. David fastened on his sword over the tunic and tried walking around, because he was not used to them. "I cannot go in these," he said to Saul, "because I am not used to them." So he took them off. Then he took his staff in his hand, chose five smooth stones from the stream, put them in the pouch of his shepherd's bag and, with his sling in his hand, approached the Philistine.

Thoughts
How many fishing rods do you own? How many lures fill up tackle boxes or pouches? Do you use all of them regularly, or are there some lures or other pieces of gear which haven't touched water in a long time?

I'm guilty of the assertion that many fishing lures catch more anglers than they catch fish.
(Tom B)

Action Point
"Then he took his staff in his hand, chose five smooth stones from the stream, put them in the pouch of his shepherd's bag and, with his sling in his hand, approached the Philistine," I Samuel 17:40 (NIV).

Grant me the following paraphrase and insight of this verse:

Then he took his staff (fishing rod) in his hand, chose five smooth stones (lures) from the stream (tackle box or pouch), and, with his sling (fishing rod) in his hand, approached the Philistine (water).

Let's admit it, part of the joy of fishing is adding new pieces of equipment to our tackle inventory while staying with the basics as well produces a personal tackle inventory that rivals a small tackle store.

Keep it simple.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:08 pm

Bible Study Verse
Matthew 5:13a
"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again?" (NIV)

Thoughts
Salinity levels of a particular locale determine what species of fish hang out there. During the summer of 2007, the entire Texas coast received more rainfall than many locals had seen in 50 years. Fresh water flowed from just about every river and tributary along the coast, sending runoff pouring into the bay estuaries, thereby reducing the salinity. Speckled trout were sent scurrying for saltier water, so that guides like me had difficulty finding them. Fishing definitely suffered.
(Bink G)

Action Point
Trout seek constants, like the presence of food and salinity levels. When fish don't like their environment, they migrate until they find what they need to sustain life.

For people, our salt is the Lord. We search, migrate and seek worldly remedies to sustain life, while God is the same place He has always been--waiting for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:34 am

Biblr Study Verses
Matthew 23:27-28
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness. (NIV)

Thoughts
One of the things I got to do as a hunter education instructor was to see lots of firearms, and also how people take care of their firearms. Most keep them clean; however, far too often I see a gun that looks great on the outside, but is filthy on the inside. The action is full of burned gunpowder and the barrel is leaded up with gunk until you can't see the rifling. Obviously, the firearm can't begin to function properly or be of much use under these conditions.

Many years ago, I was helping at a hunter education field day where a student actually arrived with a .22 rifle with a live round in the chamber. The round had been there so long and was so corroded that we couldn't get it out without using a cleaning rod to drive the round out backwards. Beyond the obvious safety issue, I hated to think of the damage that corrosion had done to a very beautiful gun.
(Cliff S)

Action Point
Jesus tells us in this passage that as Christians we must be more than clean on the outside, we must also be clean on the inside. Sometimes, that can be a tough call. The temptations we face on a daily basis are frightful. But, if we keep God's Word in our hearts, we can face those temptations and successfully keep ourselves clean. Yes, through the blood of Jesus, we can be clean on the inside; but it takes time, submission, dedication, and commitment to walk in Jesus' tracks.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:01 pm

Bible Study Verse
Exodus 20:7
Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain. (KJV)

Thoughts
Ever overheard or partook in a conversation like this?
"Yeah I heard Billy killed a buck... but it was a dink!" "Yeah, he always shoots little ones because he can't kill a big one"...continuing... "Yeah, he aint much of a hunter."

Fact is, Billy is quite a hunter, and he shoots a buck every year! And although I've never known him to kill a "record book" animal, I've known him long enough to know he loves to hunt, loves to eat venison, and always fills his tag. That sounds like a pretty successful hunter to me!
(Ruben C)

Action Point
The problem with the above conversation was that the speaker spoke of things he was uninformed on or didn't care and in the process he slandered Billy's name. In Exodus 20:7 the King James Bible translates this verse most accurately from the Hebrew text; don't take God's name in vain. If you look at the translation of "vain" in a Strongs concordance, a Bible dictionary so to speak, defining every word in the Bible, it defines "vain" in this verse (Strongs #7723) as to make empty, false or a lie. Essentially the guy above made Billy's "name", or what Billy represented as a hunter, false.

How about when we represent God or His Son as believers in Christ, but our actions do not represent Him? We stretch the truth sometimes or our eyes linger too long on a woman who is not our wife with other than pure thoughts . . . ? The Apostle John said in
I John 2:6, "Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did," (NIIV). Are we making His name empty or false when we do these things as believers? Are we taking His name in vain? Words to think about brothers!

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Do you like to kill big bucks or big bulls? I do! How about the last day of the hunt at the end of the season, you haven't connected with a trophy but you see a small buck or bull and you simply pass it up because you would never be caught with a small animal with your tag on it? Should that opportunity ever present itself in the future, maybe consider filling that end-of-season tag for the less fortunate. Maybe for a mission, a homeless shelter, or low income veteran? Just a thought from Matthew 25:35-46. For other ideas on giving check out www.thegivingprinciple.com

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:19 pm

Bible Study Verse
Hebrews 13:4
Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral. (NIV)

Thoughts
As I write this, the rut is about ready to kick in for Michigan's white tail deer season. Rubs are being made on trees and the bucks are ripping up the ground as they mark their territory by making scrapes. As these scrapes are made, does will often visit these scrapes and urinate in them.

The scrapes become a focal point for the deer in the area, as they frequent these scrapes to figure out who is ready to breed and who is not. The bucks will even battle for territory through the use of marking their area with these scrapes.

So, the wise hunter, knowing the science of the rut, utilizes the scrapes as a way to increase their odds to see deer. There are many good scent attractants that are on the market today that work quite well. With all the rubbing, the scraping, and the smell that gets left behind, a hunter can simply take an existing scrape and add a "doe in heat" scent on a wafer and let it blow around the area as an attractant. Even mock scrapes will work to get a buck coming to a specific area. At that point, it's simply about being at the right place at the right time for the kill. The buck trick has been set in motion.
(Dave M)

Action Point
Unfortunately, too many guys get caught up in the "man" trick. Marriage can be tough at points, but God's intent is for you to stick it out with the gal you have. Being in the middle of a firestorm in your marriage can often distort your vision and other options appear to be better.

Sometimes, there are no problems in the marriage, and the guy is simply bored with his life and spouse and goes looking for adventure with a new gal. Let me caution you, stick to your gal and work things out. Your marriage never was an accident and still isn't. The whole "grass is greener" idea is a bad trick that will lead to heart-ache for you and everyone involved.

If you find yourself in this moment, contemplating the value of your marriage, please find a Christian counselor and get help. The trap has been laid and you are about to step into it. It's sin, and you are simply putting yourself into a position to adopt someone else's problems in addition to the ones you already have.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:42 pm

Bible Study Verse
Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. (NKJV)

Thoughts
It took a few hunts before Junior, my Arizona-raised GSP, got himself oriented to Midwest quail. But, not without some necessary changes on his part.

Initially, he just really didn't want to point birds in the corn stalks and briar patches ... so he kept looking for the mesquite and cat-claw.

I could almost hear him rationalizing, "There should be birds there . . . there always had been before." But no matter how much he looked nor how much he ran around all he found was more corn stalks and briar patches. One day he pointed . . . and now there are birds in every field, just in different places than he wanted or expected them to be.
(Jay C)

Action Point
We tend to get stuck into very similar patterns and ruts as well. We look for mesquite when we are standing in corn. Looking in the same, familiar places for that which we seek . . . answers, assurance, security, happiness, purpose, and significance.

Sometimes the Lord needs to get us out of our comfort zones, to learn new principles or truths. and to be honest with ourselves so we can reach out to others.
Sometimes this isn't a lot of fun at first.
Sometimes it takes a lot of humility.
Sometimes it can be especially painful and unpleasant.
But we are afforded the promised assurance of blessings from our Father when we place ourselves in positions to be stretched, challenged and grown for His glory.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:19 pm

Wherever You Go
This is my command - be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged.  For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. (NLT) ( Joshua 1:9 )

There are times in life that we feel alone, and that no one else can relate. Trials come our way and sometimes there is nothing anyone can do to help the situation. Read this part again: do not be afraid or discouraged. God brings seasons in life to sharpen you for your own good. God walks WITH you THROUGH this hardship. He is with you; gain your strength from Him.
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... Xgvp0BDHzj

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Return to “Coon Hunters For Christ”