- 11.A. Babbling Dogs And Strike Points (Rule Update) -

This forum contains member questions concerning PKC rules and policies. The PKC staff will post official clarifications here.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Derek Calk
Starting Member
PKC Name: Derek Calk
City, State: Trout, LA
PKC Member Since: 09 Aug 2004
Annual Membership Expires: 19 Jul 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $25,665
Cell #: 318-992-3816

Re: - 11.A. Babbling Dogs And Strike Points (Rule Update) -

Postby Derek Calk » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:35 am

Steven Hall wrote:I was on a cast the other night and my dog struck in at 55 seconds. I struck her in because she don' t babble. She was at 235 yards on my Garmin. The judge asked me to tell him when I heard her again. 1.5 minutes after I struck her she opened again at 400 yards. In the mean time he had struck his dog in. Then proceeded to minus my dog for babbling. Said she has to carry track out. What does that even mean. Is the dog required to bark more if you strike in under the minute. He struck his dog at 1 minute 10 seconds, but he gets 6 minutes to bark. This rule is very subjective and is probably misused more than any other rule. PKC needs to clarify what moving track out of area means.
2019 LA PKC ST CH’ PCH’ Trout Cr Bookum Twisted Rage
2020 LA PKC ST CH’ PCH’Trout Cr Bookum Twisted Rage
2020 PKC Redbone Breed Championship Winner PCH’ Trout Creek Bookum Twisted Rage
2022 PKC CH’ Trout Creek Pistol Paige

Lane Ikerd
Starting Member
PKC Name: Lane Ikerd
City, State: Burlington, KS
PKC Member Since: 25 Aug 2014
Annual Membership Expires: 14 Sep 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $584
Cell #: 6207944714

Postby Lane Ikerd » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:18 pm

Derek Calk wrote:
Steven Hall wrote:I was on a cast the other night and my dog struck in at 55 seconds. I struck her in because she don' t babble. She was at 235 yards on my Garmin. The judge asked me to tell him when I heard her again. 1.5 minutes after I struck her she opened again at 400 yards. In the mean time he had struck his dog in. Then proceeded to minus my dog for babbling. Said she has to carry track out. What does that even mean. Is the dog required to bark more if you strike in under the minute. He struck his dog at 1 minute 10 seconds, but he gets 6 minutes to bark. This rule is very subjective and is probably misused more than any other rule. PKC needs to clarify what moving track out of area means.

What is the outcome on this situation? Or answer to it?

Shane Patton
Director - Field Operations
PKC Name: Shane Patton
City, State: Shawneetown, IL
PKC Member Since: 14 Sep 2002
Annual Membership Expires: 30 Jun 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $72,239
Cell #: 618-841-3996

Postby Shane Patton » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:39 am

The rule states carrying a track out of the area. That is the definition of the rule. The dog must carry a track out of the area to the satisfaction of the cast and judge. While we can't put a time or distance on carrying a track out of the area, we must all use our best judgment to determine this.

Return to “PKC Rule/Policy Discussions and Clarifications”