Time out ?

This forum contains member questions concerning PKC rules and policies. The PKC staff will post official clarifications here.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Frank Manning
Starting Member
PKC Name: Frank Manning
City, State: Mount Morris, MI
PKC Member Since: 01 Jun 2009
Annual Membership Expires: 24 Aug 2021
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,358

Time out ?

Postby Frank Manning » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:27 am

Dog D gets out of pocket where the guide doesn't have permission to hunt. Can the cast call time out? Dog D has been struck and treed in this place prior to finding out he is off the property and on private property. I know Rule 15 A. says posted land. but as a handler am I really going to loose my points because the dog trailed onto posted land? Thank you for your help.
Frank Manning
(810)347-5292

Home of Kate N Roy's Demon Seed Psycho

Frank Manning
Starting Member
PKC Name: Frank Manning
City, State: Mount Morris, MI
PKC Member Since: 01 Jun 2009
Annual Membership Expires: 24 Aug 2021
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,358

Re: Time out ?

Postby Frank Manning » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:24 pm

scenario;

Dogs are cut and all dogs get struck in. dogs A, B, C are treed in deep. Get close to dogs to find them on a fence row. Dog D is treed at what seems to be the end of the fence row about 300 yards away. Score dogs A,B,C and head to dog D to find him on the other side of the road about 20 yards in. Guide says I don't have permission to be there so we have to call time out and dog D gets deleted. Dogs A,B,C were circled up and dog D had a coon. Is this just one of the "breaks" that we all dread in competition coon hunting?
Frank Manning
(810)347-5292

Home of Kate N Roy's Demon Seed Psycho

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Jerry Moll
City, State: Batesville, IN
PKC Member Since: 02 Feb 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $30,080
Cell #: 812-212-1619

Re: Time out ?

Postby Jerry Moll » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:08 am

Frank Manning wrote:Dog D gets out of pocket where the guide doesn't have permission to hunt. Can the cast call time out? Dog D has been struck and treed in this place prior to finding out he is off the property and on private property. I know Rule 15 A. says posted land. but as a handler am I really going to loose my points because the dog trailed onto posted land? Thank you for your help.

Calling time out and deleting points based upon dogs entering posted land is always gong to be a tough call, especially if any dogs have already been declared treed on the posted ground. The majority of the cast will always have to make this decision, with the input of the guide. Some landowners will be ok with scoring the dog and the cast getting out of there, others may shoot first and ask questions later. All efforts should be made to score dogs, but there are times when you can't. Here are the Time-Out Rules.

15. TIME-OUT
A majority of the cast must agree on time-out. Unless absolutely necessary, time-out should not be called unless all dog(s) are close enough to be handled. If time-out is called, it will apply to all dog(s) in the cast. Time-out will be a maximum of one (1) hour. Less than one (1) hour, by majority vote of cast members, may be allowed if necessary to make the deadline at the club. A place for handlers to return must be designated. At the end of time-out, handlers must have their dog in hand at the predetermined location and be ready for recasting.

[PRO: Non-hunting judge only will make all time-out decisions.]

A. Time-Out May Be Called For The Following Reasons:
(1) When dog(s) or cast members are getting near a place of danger. (highway, gunshots fired, posted property, etc)
(2) When dog(s) not in the cast are working a trail or tree with cast members' dog(s). All scores by cast members' dog(s) will stand unless altered by dog(s) outside the cast.
(3) If new ground must be found to finish the cast.
(4) In case of accident or sickness.
Prepare yourself and your hound. Hunt the dog, read the Blue Book, and your Good Book!

Return to “PKC Rule/Policy Discussions and Clarifications”