The Future

This Forum is used only for Moderators of the Prohound Online Forum. Viewable by only you and other Moderators.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Dylan Hovey
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Dylan Hovey
City, State: Meridianville, AL
PKC Member Since: 24 Mar 2006
Annual Membership Expires: 13 Dec 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $32,432

The Future

Postby Dylan Hovey » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:37 am

I’ve been thinking on this for quite some time. Back when I first started hunting around ‘03 or ‘04, $25 meant a lot more than it does now. The hunts had twice the faces and even more hunting ground. Back then a ton people ran state races and it wasn’t all that easy to get in top 10 or top 16 of a state race. Back then we ran all the weeknight hunts and would drive 6+ hours to a weekend hunt if we had even a mild shot at getting a truck ticket. These days I couldn’t care less about going to one.

Times have changed and pro classics are seeming to be all anyone is pushing anymore. I’m not knocking them I like them too. To me it seems that there is just a handful of us left as compared to 10- heck even 5 years ago. Back then a state race meant something. Back then it just meant more. Back then if you made a dog a Gold or Platinum Champion it meant something. Now a days it means a little of nothing. You can win 18,000 with double cast wins for crying out loud! When you can go to a hunt that’s not named “World Hunt” and win more money than said “World Hunt” something just ain’t right about it. I’m rambling now so I’ll just get to my point plus solution.

PKC will die if it loses it foundation. The foundation of what made this kennel club great is the small hunt. Whether the hunts are on the weekend or they are on Tuesday night it doesn’t matter. We need more participation at our hunts or our sport will slowly die. If we don’t start giving more back to the youth we have no future; and I realize several people are doing tremendous work trying to help our youth and it’s awesome, but we aren’t giving enough as a whole. It’s really not up for debate these are facts. If any folks in here have been in business for any good amount of time or have studied business know that if you aren’t growing you’re dying. The only way PKC is growing is the number of hunts they are having and not the number of hunters attending. I’m not real smart but it looks like a bad business model to me.

My solution to this would be adding more money to our escrow accounts.

I’m proposing we increase our entry fees by $5. The money that would be up for grabs could skyrocket at our end of the year races. Say for instance you have $5 extra per entry to spread across our state, breed, and youth accounts for our end of the year races. Say $1.00 per entry could go to the overall youth fund. $1.00 per entry could go towards whichever breed the dog which is entered represents. And $3.00 go to the state champion and state race winner.

We have ~24 hunts per year at my local club and I’d say the average number of dogs we draw per any given night would be 8 dogs. If $3.00 per entry went to the state race, that would add $576.00, just from one club to the state escrow account. Multiply that by 15 clubs (just a guess), and you get somewhere close to 9000. If it paid 25% of that to win the state race then yeah, that would give me more incentive to go to a hunt. If the rest went to the state hunt, imagine how many more people would be trying to get in that top 16. Imagine how many people would be at the Showcase trying to get an edge. And the fact that every stinking thing in this world has gone up in price and the Added Purse at the Showcaee keeps going down- that is a complete joke.

Also, there should be a World Hunt escrow fund. In my opinion, there should be absolutely no reason that hunt pays less than 50k to the winner. It is without a doubt the hardest World Hunt to win and I think the winner should be compensated at a rate well over any other hunt.

There will be people under this post that will claim an increase in fees is just crazy talk and that PKC should turn loose of some of their cut off these hunts but I don’t think that way. And that’s fine. Some people won’t understand that PKC is a business and think they should just work for free. Im all for whatever we have to do to incentivize people to go to hunts and someone may have a better idea but that’s mine.

I love this sport and believe PKC is the place to be and I’ll debate that with anyone, but I think we are doing a piss poor job at our local level and something needs to be done about it.
PCH Red Ruby Hardtime Dot
PCH 3 Bawls Deep

Drake Roberson
Silver Member
PKC Name: Drake Roberson
City, State: Waterloo, AL
PKC Member Since: 24 Jul 2005
Annual Membership Expires: 30 May 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $68,031
Cell #: 2568568965

Re: The Future

Postby Drake Roberson » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:29 am

Best idea yet.
PCH HISSY PHITT
PCH DIRTY DEALER

Bruce Conkey
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Bruce M Conkey
City, State: San Mateo, FL
PKC Member Since: 30 Aug 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Jun 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $884

Postby Bruce Conkey » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:38 am

agree
#23163 coondog123@aol.com
"The Proof is in the Pudding"

Wes Coffman
Gold Member
PKC Name: Wesley R. Coffman
City, State: Pendleton, IN
PKC Member Since: 10 Sep 1999
Annual Membership Expires: 03 Nov 2018
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $255

Postby Wes Coffman » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:08 pm

You make a lot of good points Dylan.

At what point though do we stop placing the cost burden on the hunter? Every new idea down the pike is let’s raise the entry fee X, so we can pay out Y.

How about some sponsorships?
God Bless
PKC Pride #66007

Tony Walker
Starting Member
PKC Name: Tony Walker
City, State: Artesia, MS
PKC Member Since: 23 Aug 1995
Annual Membership Expires: 22 May 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $44,597

Postby Tony Walker » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:20 pm

U GOT HAVE THE MONEY THAT I WISH I DID :cry:

Michael Ward
Starting Member
PKC Name: Michael Ward
City, State: Falkville, AL
PKC Member Since: 04 Mar 2004
Annual Membership Expires: 01 Jun 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $408,613
Cell #: 256-636-4891

Postby Michael Ward » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:59 am

Great post
PCH THE AMERICAN BILLIONAIRE

PCH CAPTAIN AMERICA

Coy Sullivan
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Coy Sullivan
City, State: Middleton, TN
PKC Member Since: 10 Jan 2002
Annual Membership Expires: 28 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $271,049
Cell #: 731-203-8128

Postby Coy Sullivan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:22 am

Good ideas!! I like it!!
WCH PCH Thousand Dollar Bill
Thousand Dollar Kreed

Michael Brown
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Michael Brown
City, State: Ada, OK
PKC Member Since: 22 Sep 1999
Annual Membership Expires: 20 Apr 2019
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $525

Postby Michael Brown » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:43 pm

This is good! The way to get it done is to force PKC’s hand. Put this on paper, get enough support via signatures, and show PKC this is what hunters want. I will say these classics are paying pkc a pretty penny, and not costing them much at all so maybe a good portion of their (classics) profits should go towards “added money” for the World Hunt.

Nick Priamos
Starting Member
PKC Name: Nick Priamos
City, State: Bell Buckle, TN
PKC Member Since: 25 May 2000
Annual Membership Expires: 10 Jan 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $4,391

Postby Nick Priamos » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:22 pm

Let’s just have $50.00 dollar hunts Monday through Thursday and $100.00 Friday and Saturday!!!
Raising the entry fee will Sure encourage more participants Dylan!!!!! That is the For sure what PKC needs to do to succeed. I am all in !!!!

Steve Yant
PKC National Director
PKC Name: Steve Yant
City, State: Sikeston, MO
PKC Member Since: 07 Jul 1984
Annual Membership Expires: 30 Jun 2027
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $363,083

Postby Steve Yant » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:28 pm

Entry fees have been increased ....participation keeps decreasing
I like one that makes you feel lonely

Michael Brown
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Michael Brown
City, State: Ada, OK
PKC Member Since: 22 Sep 1999
Annual Membership Expires: 20 Apr 2019
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $525

Postby Michael Brown » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:30 pm

When was the last time entry fees in open events like is being discussed here was increased?

Steve Yant
PKC National Director

Postby Steve Yant » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:32 pm

Wnt to 30 dollar hunts couple yrs ago ....numbers still dropping

Dylan Hovey
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Dylan Hovey
City, State: Meridianville, AL
PKC Member Since: 24 Mar 2006
Annual Membership Expires: 13 Dec 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $32,432

Postby Dylan Hovey » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:58 pm

Steve Yant wrote:Wnt to 30 dollar hunts couple yrs ago ....numbers still dropping

That is nothing like this being described here.
PCH Red Ruby Hardtime Dot
PCH 3 Bawls Deep

Steve Yant
PKC National Director

Postby Steve Yant » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:32 pm

This idea is a good one but recquires more people to go to hunts for it to help ......jmo but i feel main problem is everything we hunt for always comes out of our pockets ....we have raised entries before with promised stuff at end of rainbow but ive never seen the benefits from raising entries in the long run you win more but you spend more .Another big problem is no one supports their local clubs anymore.For example in my area everyone wants a big hunt but when you try to have one no one wants to help or get entries.

Eric J Henry
Silver Member
PKC Name: Eric Henry
City, State: Clubb, MO
PKC Member Since: 07 Jul 1994
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Aug 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $105,625

Postby Eric J Henry » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:18 pm

I totally agree with Steve about having no support in our area with the local clubs.They have their own click and just go to their own clubs that's why we can't ever have a bigger hunt in our area.
ERIC J HENRY

Return to “Moderators Only”