Parents and Getting old

This forum has been established for the purpose of posting the names of service men and service women who are on active duty during our nation's war on terrorism.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Mike Stephens
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Mike Stephens
City, State: Ripley, TN
PKC Member Since: 18 Mar 1991
Annual Membership Expires: 02 Feb 2019
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $0

Parents and Getting old

Postby Mike Stephens » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:09 am

I remember my dad, small in stature, toting 2 hay bales at a time loading them on a trailer all day long. Although now I know he was not a very physically intimidating man, back then my dad was the strongest man in the world. Many years went by. I never really noticed him getting old. Cancer got a hold of him and I saw the best man in the world wither away.
Now, some 13 years later I sit in the hospital room beside my mom. She just had a bad stroke. As I look at her I remember back to the woman who, years ago, beat all of us "big 8th grade boys" in arm wrestling. Mom was a hard worker. She ran a chainsaw good as any man could. And now this lady is confined to a bed. She can't talk really. Sure won't walk again.
And the "benefits" of being the only child are wearing me down. There is no one to help with anything. I am thankful I have a job where i can take off when I need to.
I have been single most all my life. I have single handedly raised 2 kids. My son is 12, daughter 20. So I'm sitting here with a strong feeling that one day I will end up in the shape I saw my parents go down to. Do we prepare our kids for this or is it necessary to worry about tomorrow?
All I know is today I am hurting inside, because there is nothing i can do but sit and hope and pray my mom won't suffer long.
** I CAN DO A LOT MORE WITH A DOG THAT'S SPLIT TREEING THAN I CAN WITH ONE THAT'S SPLIT TRACKING **

Jerrod Douglas
Gold Member
PKC Name: Jerrod W. Douglas
City, State: Olla, LA
PKC Member Since: 05 Jun 2004
Annual Membership Expires: 18 Feb 2021
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $13,601

Postby Jerrod Douglas » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:44 am

Mike, I don't know all the answers but God does. He is the Master of every situation. He said in ALL things give thanks for this be the will of God concerning you. It is a very trying time in your life I know but always remember that He is our comfort and remember that our biggest help comes from up above. Reach for Him and he will in no wise turn away. I will for sure pray for you and your situation. God will truely bless you. Sounds like for sure you have and still are honoring your father and mother.
HOME OF:
GRNITECH GRCH SCH INSANE "X"
(SIRE RACE WINNER)
https://youtu.be/DFDaTaKBBiY
https://youtu.be/lqJUgyW_tT0

SS CHAMPION GRNITECH SERIAL COONER
(INSANE "X" / GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY)

Mike Stephens
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Mike Stephens
City, State: Ripley, TN
PKC Member Since: 18 Mar 1991
Annual Membership Expires: 02 Feb 2019
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $0

Postby Mike Stephens » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:24 pm

Thank you sir.
** I CAN DO A LOT MORE WITH A DOG THAT'S SPLIT TREEING THAN I CAN WITH ONE THAT'S SPLIT TRACKING **

Brandon Dement
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Brandon Dement
City, State: Alto, TX
PKC Member Since: 24 Aug 2006
Annual Membership Expires: 06 Sep 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $799
Cell #: 9032626630

getting old

Postby Brandon Dement » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:05 pm

Mr. Stephens,

i have not had to deal with my parents yet and hopefully i want for a long while to come, but i watch my grandpa and greatgrand mother pass before my eyes. my grandpa was a ol cattleman and a peanut farmer, his lungs where full of dust and cigar smoke and he was much of a man. i remebr spending summers @ his house doing odd and in things around the place. i remeber watching this man lift and throw things around like it was nothing, feed, square bails etc,. but the more summers i spent there the less he would pick up and throw around. cancer got a hold of him and did a number on him. my great grandma was 89 years young befroe she came and lived with my mother and father and the only reason she did that is because she was cleaning the leaves out of her gutter before thanksgiving and fell off the roof. she got up and went on like nothing happened when we all gathered at her house for thanksgiving she was up cooking cleaning etc all day. she waited till after the family got done eating and visiting to tell us that she needed to go to the hospital because she thought she had broken her hip, sure enough she did 3 places. she spent 3 whole days walking around with a broke hip and i think the only reason she told us then is because she sat down and could not get back up. she made it to 95 years young and caught a serve flu.

god blessed me time with both of them and @ the time i wanted nothing more than to have them back with me but the lord knew they had served there purpose here on this earth and was ready for them in a better place.
we may not know the answer for it but he sure does and he will never lead you the worong way.
CH White Trash BlindSide
CH Death Row Stormy Daniels

Return to “In Service To Our Country”